Friday, November 13, 2009

Inspiration from Flowers


The first time I ever saw a Bleeding Heart Plant I was walking home from school. I was in 3rd grade. It was a wonderful late spring day, we knew there were only few more days of school then summer vacation. So I was already happy about that. ;)
I walked home with about 10 other kids that lived on my block. I counted, one day, and I realized we had 45 kids from ages 0-16 living on our block. We could always get a game of basketball, touch football, baseball, capture the flag, or kick the can going in an instant.
Well, 10 of us were walking home and I saw some pink flowers dangling from under a bush. They were heart shaped! These beautiful flowers dangling under the deep green leaves were like a special gift. They didn't have a strong perfume smell like most flowers, but they were so delicate and unique.
Each spring, we would watch for that plant to bloom. It was an extra special moment when we could see the hearts.
I wonder if life isn't made up of these tiny beautiful moments. Each one opens our eyes, heart, and breath to the exquisite beauty that surrounds us.
Helen Keller said: "Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows."
It seems to me that in our time a great change, great upheaval, the point is to keep our focus towards the light. Breathe into bringing out the best in you and your family, community, and ultimately that has a chance of changing the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment