Thursday, December 1, 2011

Discovering True Worth

I've been spending too much mental time assessing my true worth based on outside influences.  And then, I looked at this picture. 

What is the true size of the ice?  That which is above the water?  That which can be seen?  Or is there something deeper, more powerful, more expansive that lies below the surface?

If my ego assumes that I am only the part of me that is seen, or valued from outside influences, I might never realize how capable, dynamic and influential I am. 

True worth is best revealed in times of challenges, other wise known as trying times or problems.  All the things my ego runs from.  I saw true worth in action this week while visiting the Orange County Community Foundation's annual meeting.  In 2008 they declared that in this time of financial upheaval, no service to the community would diminish, that they would pick up the slack.  Since that time, 2008-2011, they have granted over $100 million to local organizations to support education, health, arts and culture, human services and environment.  That is extraordinary, beyond what has been considered giving. It put them in the top 10% of Community Foundation across the nation. 

What I was present to was a willingness to work with the current circumstances and develop themselves to a higher level of leadership, compassion, influence and consciousness.  All capacities the live 'below' the water line.

Here's to awakening 'below the water'!

No comments:

Post a Comment