Sunday, January 15, 2012

Self-Discipline

I noticed yesterday, I have a nasty relationship with self-discipline.  It's all about how wrong I am, and how weak, or inconsistent or lazy.  Wow, things I would never say to a friend, I seem to take a privilege in saying to myself.

Maybe it's time to reinvent my thoughts on self-discipline and follow through.  Maybe I can realize that we all struggle with self-discipline and follow through, it's just the particular subject that changes.  Some of us are very disciplined in what we eat, or recycling, or paying bills on time, or keeping a lid on impulse shopping.  But we stumble on having patience in traffic, or we are judgemental with our family, or we gossip.  "Oh, I did it again"  we all seem to say. 

I hope to discover a new way to support myself when I stumble and fail, when I eat the candy too quickly, or get angry.  I hope in those moments to learn to show myself a little mercy, and extend compassion to all of us that get trapped in the vicious circle of emotions:  judgement, lashing out, regret and guilt.  Maybe it's time for a new circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment