Thursday, January 12, 2012

Laugh

I was blessed with a father that taught me to laugh at myself.  I am blessed with a brother that keeps that tradition alive in our family. 

And I was blessed with a family that did wild and silly things.  Most times these things were unintentional and well-meaning, like my spinster Aunt who was the original re-gifter and gave my cousin (18 at the time) with beautiful raven colered hair her old grey wiglet for Christmas one year.  I got the box of Hickory Farms cheese and salami package but with the cheese and salami gone, cause she liked that stuff, so she left me the nuts and fruitcake.

Sometimes they were intentional, like the time my Uncle put a letter "I" over the "A" in the road signs "Do Not Pass" along the highway in our town.  Or my other Uncle who was the biggest football bookie in the Midwest in the 70's, who was finally caught and sent to jail, and his reply was, "Well, it was fun while it lasted."

It pays to have a good sense of humor.  Not only in the good times but in the tough times.  We are in tough times.  Lets keep laughing, particularly at ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment