Monday, January 9, 2012

Patience

Ah, traffic.  The delights of living,  I was going to say, in our modern world.  But, I'm thinking traffic congestion has been around as long as there has been carts and wagons to pull or push through muddy paths, trails or cobblestone streets.

Traffic, or other such items that seem to challenge my temper, gives me a wonderful opportunity to practice patience and calm myself. 

I was listening to a lecture recently and the speaker said that the gift of patience is patience.  What, I thought? Surely there has to be  a bigger reward for practicing patience?  Like winning the lotto, or being able to eat all the sweets you want and never get fat.  Come on!

It reminded me of a teacher that told me a life of integrity is it's own reward.  Again I thought What?!  Then why do it.  Why, when all around me are the slippery slopes to no integrity and no patience?  Why do it when it seems very few people do it, or worse when I get attacked for practicing either?

As I have aged, I can see a deeper wisdom in those statements.  The world is how it is, not going to change, people are how we are, we aren't evolving that fast.  For me to rail against traffic, or complain about people, is a futile exercise.   In the time I am alive, I can practice patience and integrity, and know that the reward is a life of integrity and patience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment