Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Saving the World, or Us

"No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes" Mr. Incredible

I love the movie The Incredibles.  Very fun and funny, in such a compelling way.  I laughed out loud with a chuckle of recognition in Mr. Incredible saying "I just want it to stay saved." 

That's a little bit like my relationship with me and wanting to keep it together.  I just want to finally once and for all get my stuff in order, ya know?  Get my workouts effective once and for all, meditate enough I will then gain clarity once and for all, get my posture perfect, or money handled once and for all.  And the list goes on and on. 

However, it doesn't work that way.  The essence of life is is changeability and challenges, just when we thought our money was handled, stocks go down, or someone is laid off, just when we get into a rhythm in our jogging, our knees blow out.  The attempt to make life static can get us in muddy waters. 

The world ain't going to be saved, so we can stop trying to get it to tow the line and be perfect.  Neither are we going to be perfect, so we can relax and breathe.  We can practice mercy, compassion and joy at our foibles, inconsistencies, and downright stubbornness. 

In the times when I pressed, I stop and breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment