Monday, January 2, 2012

Release

As I read the suggestions from some of our top spiritual leaders of our times for living a life of fulfillment in 2012, what seems to be a theme from each is practicing detachment.  Although it has been said many different ways, such as 'celebrating impermanence', 'embrace uncertainty', 'show mercy', it is all pointing to the idea of releasing our stuck views, opinions and judgements.

Release can mean many things.  It can mean; let go, surrender to, to free, gain absolution, receive deliverance, get an acquittal or turnout.  The true feeling of release is to live detached from the results, to have desires and intentions but not be limited as to how those intentions play out.

I have been practicing a form of release, for example, when I want to pull away or drift off I lean towards the thing I want to run away from.  The first thing I noticed is the thing I want to run away from or go unconscious around seems to disappear faster than when I take myself away.  It is challenging as the first impulse is to just want to get out; for example when traffic gets bad or  I am in a conversation with an avid complainer, I usually mentally take myself away.  This morning I stayed not only present but softened my heart while staying conscious.  A feeling of freedom swept through me.  It was nice. 

We have challenging and dramatically changing times ahead.  The question becomes how can we live a life of fulfillment inside these dramatic times?  Maybe by releasing the old ego patterns and opinions.  It isn't that we don't have opinions or judgements, but we can release the grip they have on us by leaning in into the ego and releasing.  It's like flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment