Monday, February 6, 2012

Labyrinth Walk

I am very grateful that just down the street from my house there are two labyrinth walks.  One is an outside rock garden, the other is inside the nave of a church.  Both are beautiful walks, and I consider the weather conditions as to which walk I will do that day.

While I was walking the inside walk this morning as it was a cold and foggy morning, I was struck by the genius that developed the walk so many centuries ago.   The invention of a walking meditation, different from a seated meditation,  that the path itself which has you change your dominate foot at each turn, which temporarily reprograms the wiring in your brain.  It's rather like changing how you brush your teeth from right hand to left hand every few moments of brushing your teeth.  It shifts your focus, forces you to get present to what you are doing rather than going numb or unconscious to your movements.

I was struck by the beauty of the walk, and how easy and delicate it was, that I was connecting myself to centuries of teachers, sages, mentors and leaders that have given us simple paths to enlightenment, and that it was still here in our world!  Wow!


No comments:

Post a Comment