Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How to Avoid Burning the Candle at Both Ends

In today's economic climate, how do we avoid burning our candles at both ends?  In a time where most of us are doing 3-4 jobs, as we take up the jobs that our co-workers were downsized from 3 years ago, the question seems a little late in asking.  None the less, it is an important question to wrap our minds around as it seems that the new job climate is to expect more and pay less.

So, how do you keep from burning out, wiping out and dropping out?  The safest practice to begin is sitting quietly in a room, with no TV, radio or computer on to distract you.  See just how long you can do it.  5 minutes will seem an eternity.

However, the daily practice of sitting quietly can be a beginning of a beautiful love affair, with yourself.  My daily practice begins first thing in the morning.  I set the timer for 15 minutes of quiet time.  I begin each day with that.  Instead of rushing into the day, I give my body and mind a moment of stillness.  Something I notice that had missing for so long I didn't even realize it until I began the practice, and like a long lost friend, was back fully and easily as if it had never left.

Give your mind a moment to breathe, listen to the quiet, feel the stillness, and pay attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment