Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Why I Meditate

I have been taught many different types of meditation.  In the beginning of my practice, I used guided meditation and found it very helpful to keep me on the path.  It produced good results over time.

I was able to change behaviors that I struggled with for years, things like eating fatty and sugary foods when nervous.  In my practice, I could feel the difference in my moods and physical stamina when I engaged in that behavior.  I've known this for years but in the heat of the moment I've never been able to stop from eating sugary and fatty foods.  After consistent practice the carvings disappeared.  Score!

Lately, I've been practicing a simpler form of meditation.  Simpler in that I just sit and breathe, yet harder as there are no distractions like a soft reassuring voice or lovely music to bring me back to meditation.  It was pointed out to me you can meditate to 'transcend' the moment and leave the chaos of living, or you can meditate to bring you into the moment, to gain power in living life as it is.

I could see that what I was looking for was a way to bring power to each moment of my life, the ones that stop me, the ones that upset me, the ones that repel me.  I wanted to gain power and bring myself fully to life, not shy away from the difficulties that life presents each day.

This isn't an instant cure, it is a step by step process to give me freedom and compassion for our human condition.  That is why I meditate, each day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment