Saturday, July 28, 2012

Retreat Day One

I am on a 3 day retreat at the Shambala Center in the Westside.  This will be their first weekend retreat as the center just opened this month. It's a Friday evening, all day Saturday and Sunday.  I just completed Friday night.

You may be curious as to why I would attend a retreat, and why Shambala?  I am too. :)

I've been meditating consistently for three years now, and I thought I would benefit from some guidance on a personal level.   I am quite clear I do not know everything, although sometimes my mind likes to tell me differently.  Or is that my mind consistently shares it's opinion with me and I follow along agreeing with every thought.

Why Shambala?  It occurs to me the Shambala centers are interested in supporting people to live productive lives in the world as it is, not to cast off all contact with the world, live austerely and become monks.  As I am in no position or interest in forgoing this crazy world we have now, I am interested in living effectively within it.

I currently I am haveing a good laugh at myself as I have crafted all sorts of dramas to not attend the weekend; my back is out, I don't have anything proper to wear,  and I feel I am failing in my life in every step I take.  Perfect time to check in within. 

The kindness, support and generosity of spirit of the staff is remarkable.  I feel I have room to breathe.  Something I haven't felt in a long time.  Well, on to day two.

No comments:

Post a Comment