Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The What and Why of Life

There are many demands placed on us everyday and stress can seem everywhere.   Sometimes it can feel like one has lost a connection from the what we are doing to the why we are doing it. That loss of connection can be a contributor to the stress, disease, malfunction and disconnection many people experience.  It can feel like resignation and futility.  Questions can arise of "what's the point?"

I have felt that many times in my life.  I have been lucky  that when I have been engulfed by resignation or despair,  I have been able to take time and ask myself simple, elegant questions that support renewal.

The first question I ask is, what am I focusing on?  My development or reaching some goal?

Goals are wonderful, but if you only chase goals the pressures of achievement can quickly collapse around you.  Goals give direction, help center energies,  give a profound sense of advancement.  But to live only for the goal is to lose sight of the beauty every minute of every day. 

It's rather like being in school and worrying about your grades.  If you are constantly worrying about your grade when are you going to study?  Or losing weight, if you are always watching the scale you don't get the beauty of the change of lifestyle your goal is providing.

I return to the process, take it one step at a time and watch as I build new talents and capacities within myself that will reflect in outer circumstances, environments and opportunities.  Like the shell made each day by the sea creature within, building their castle one moment at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment